The Modern Day Housewife

I've noted time & time again, that Nigeria is a patriarchal society where women are domesticated & positioned in a subordinate role to the man in both the workplace and the home. It should come as no shock, then, that women view men as ATMs, ready to dispense with cash at their request. I remember a few International students in my Undergrad groaning about the strain of their course, and stating that it was all pointless as they intended to place their diplomas on their shelves and stick to shopping, societal parties and daycare (or watching the child minder take CARE of your child during the DAY...same difference right?). However, what I am noting is a slow shift back to those dark ages for the western world as well.
This ankara top & scarf is older than I am & belongs to my mother
How so, you may ask? Well, I'm not referring to the bums on the dole (not stereotyping...please allow me to land), rather the age of the e-housewife. For those of us who watch endless mindless reality TV shows, you will be plenty aware of the day-to-day workings of a housewife (no matter the county). She shops, decorates, fine dines and guzzles the finest of wine, spiels thought provoking quotes she skimmed through in a fashion magazine and occasionally engages in fist-a-cuffs (but the latter is optional). The how, is via the e/i-life; the boom of youtubers and bloggers who've made sharing their purchases (hauls), showcasing their style (lookbooks) or flaunting their beat faces (selfies) their full-time jobs.
Freedom Park, Lagos...attended the Afropolitan Vibes Anniversary Concert, drank palm wine & ate my first ever vegan meal
Its admirable to pay your mortgage from the comfort of your living room, but to what end? Dressing only your top half in a well-lit left corner of your room, to speak to your very expensive DSLR camera is...well...if you'd told me people would be making a career out of this 10 years ago, I'd have called you crazy. But in 2014, its normal. I commend it, I honestly do. However, what I beg to question is the message lying behind it. Well educated young girls are throwing away their careers and future to bask in vanity. From a christian perspective, I see big issues with that. Not in a judgmental sense, but just in a beg-to-question sense. I love those who are using their platforms to impact the lives of young girls in a positive way, but I fear that their positions are effectively auto-glassing the glass ceiling, and further cocooning women in a glass bubble.
Whats the difference between a youtuber and a housewife? Both shop endlessly and sometimes mindlessly (as I know a few who just buy, to buy & follow trends). Both rush back to share with bargains with their girlfriends. Both have made a hobby, a job. Both fine dine, and delight in fine wine. Both vacation more times that is healthy, or can be considered a vacation when your job is in essence, a long-term vacation. My fear is that while women are comfortably cocooned in their bedrooms, living off the multibillion platforms men have built from the welfare grounds up, men are out there carving out niches for themselves aside from the present. Whats being promoted is a lifestyle that prides beauty, fashion and style above brains, intellect and substance. I beg the question, why can't these young girls do both?
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! I say we call a stop to a culture thats applauding girls for ditching the city 9-5 to become glorified housewives

15 comments

  1. I love this !
    Hits the nail right on the head....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you share my point of view. Women need to do more

      Delete
  2. You raised so many interesting points..there are certain youtuber who could do both but chose the easier route in my opinion. they put the degree on the shelve for quick money. but as a current 'housewife' ( I'm on maternity leave ) I am finding sitting at home such a bore. I would love to work but I can't because I have kids. Iv recently set up a youtube channel just so i feel like i am being productive. So although I agree with the points you raised not everyone is in a situation where they can use brains, intellect and substance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You enlightened me to a whole different line of reasoning, and for that, I am truly grateful. This is why I love having such an open platform to discuss & learn. I agree, there are youtubers who are chossing to sit on their talents, instead of harnessing its true potential. Thus, reaching more people & probably earning them more in the long-run

      I'm glad you are able to use the time you have at home with your kids to reach out to others in the cyberweb, but its also worthy of note that you are itching to get back to the workplace. It is people like you that I lack on my screens. Perhaps its time I quit talking the talk, and walk the walk. I believe young girls need good role models on their youtube channels, who are doing more than looking good. Perhaps I need to embrace the visual platform and practice what I preach.

      What are your thoughts?

      Delete
  3. Wow speechless, interesting piece and so very true and as a christian woman my self i see that Vanity is becoming the death of us. If something looks good than its all good smh. Where is the substance dignity and humility??? ITS GONE

    Thanks for this post...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vanity upon vanity, all is vanity
      I completely agree. I want more for myself, my children, my friends...

      Delete
  4. This post is right up my street. I've started watching a web series on YouTube - African City and I'm happy african women are being portrayed in a positive light. I totally get you on the reality Real Housewives series....think it's time women took a reality check cos they need to wake/ sit up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love that series!
      Yes, there is a greater need now to have multi-dimensional characters in the media, who portray an alternative lifestyle than what Nollywood propels to the forefront of african homes.

      Definitely awake now!

      Delete
  5. You are speaking!!!...I've been wondering how i can balance both worlds and most importantly,not lose my career ambition and vision while adjusting to the growing woman people are encouraging to be submissive(or may be subordinate).
    Its a challenging phase for women everywhere and I personally do not know where the solution is BUT I plan to make an effort to have it all and be all I can and want to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preach!
      the world is our oyster and I don't see why there has to be barriers for women that don't exist for men?
      I commend you for your effort and know that as a result of it, you will tackle any challenges you face with the determination to do and be better. That's all that truly matters

      Delete
  6. Loved this post!

    Doma-Nikki...x
    http://live-laugh-love-fashion.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete