B for Boy

I was fortunate enough to be invited to the UK Premiere of 'B for Boy' by an old Uni mate of mine. I'm super proud to have been in attendance because 'B for Boy' has been nominated in the 'First Film Competition' - 57th BFI London Film Festival. As a young Igbo woman, I was moved by the fact the entire flick was in igbo (subtitles in English). The film centres around the protagonist, Amaka, who is pregnant with her first male child after 8 years of marriage to her loving husband. Without wrecking any intentions you may have of watching it in future by blurting out any spoilers, I will just point out that this movie drummed home the fact that patriarchal ideals still drove everyday life in Nigeria.
The movie sheds light on the ever-prevalent gender inequality that plagues Nigeria. Females are still treated as second-class citizens, bowing to the whim of the 'man of the house'. Some may argue that this divide is only evident in the working class, citing the likes of Folorunsho Alakija as prime examples that Nigeria provides platforms for women to carve independent (successful) identities aside from their domestic chores at home. Sadly, Ms Alakija is still the minority. The truth is that a woman's identity is still very much defined by her marriage (weddings are a booming business in Nigeria), appearance, home and fertility (namely, the ability to bear a male child).
Blazer & Highwaisted trousers : Thrifted (Croydon) | Leotard : Primark 
I was stunned recently by the information that igbo females will never live to taste or enjoy a dime of their father's inheritance. What utter outrage! Girls live & breathe as boys do, yet they are denied the fruits of their father's labour? Having a male child to carry on the family name is still a 'thing' to many in Nigeria. Men are encouraged to become polygamous (mostly stirred by his mother's/Uncles' nudges), consider adultery or even divorce their loves in order to achieve this pedestalised want need for a male child.
As perfectly highlighted in the film, women will go to desperate measures to satisfy this 'need' & Mother-in-laws will cross every moral and socially accepted barrier, moral compasses tossed to the wind. Its a sad reality we live in where a daughter is regarded as a ghost in the family tree, all in a blind-plight to bear a son. As evidenced in China, the worth of females is very much underrated, but I will live to see the day where both genders are properly regarded as equals in my country.
N.B. I thought it right to inform you guys that, in the spirit of remaining tuned in & chasing my dreams, I will be travelling to Nigeria to progress gender equality efforts by two NGO's in the New Year. I'm VERY excited & look forward to sharing my thoughts, experiences & pictures from the Mother Land.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Woe be to man who disregards the worth of the woman. 

4 comments

  1. Still a very pathetic issue
    I don't know how gender inequality found a comfortable abode in Nigeria
    I hope we can overcome every trace of it someday


    Check out my blog sometimes - www.janylbenylshares.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pathetic, I agree!
      I believe Nigeria has the resources & the will to truly!
      We WILL indeed overcome...and its up to the likes of us (the enlightened) to put that change in effect

      Lagging behind but will definitely be checking out your blog x

      Delete
  2. Great post hun! I always love reading your insightful offerings.
    I look forward to reading about your experience with he NGO's.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKYOU!! I'm flattered considering its YOU looool :)
      I'm very much looking forward to my experience in Nigeria. Thanks for sharing the joy with me

      Delete