Access Denied

It humours me when I receive emails alerting me of networking events, to mingle among the greats and get my foot through the door. This is in a society that goes the extra mile to depict the perfect image of equality among the masses; hoisting the flag of unity in diversity *tuts* Lets get real.
Dress : Miss Selfridge
Emigrating from Nigeria, a society that prided itself in self-made men; the 'Made in America' types, later became a society where those made men refused to relinquish their title & thus created a culture of acquired rather than achieved success. You'd think moving to the UK, which paints itself as a flat rate foundation for all to achieve success (or at least take a stab at earning it) would've propelled me to greater heights? *chuckles* However, that may have been the case in the Labour reign, but thats far from the case at present.
Suede Wedges : Select
I wrote an article for my University's law magazine in my final year, but that didn't even scrape  half of my sentiments at the misshaped right of access to the climb to the top for working class/ BME groups. Why paint over the fact that this is clearly a society that runs on the notion of 'its not what you know, but who you know'? After bagging a mini &  marshalling scheme from my connections, my usual plight to secure opportunities seemed like one big joke! Like, really? All the while, I should have been milking my gift of the gab. Who knew?
Soundtrack of the Minute : Started from the Bottom - Drake 
British government places a lot of emphasis on the transparency of the recruitment process, yet there are clear procedural miscarriages. All I ask is that the system becomes as equal as advertised. That means starting from the bottom (do I now need to dole out royalty cheques to Drake?). In line with Blair's infamous 3 words; more attention needs to be given to education. Not only is less light shed on the weight of academic achievements at lower income schools, but now, fundamental cognitive teaching resources have been shaved off the annual budgets. Already private scholars are on a higher stead, and thats before taking into account cultural capital or heirarchial access to the professions. Why rob the already less fortunate of the basic foundation they need to break free from their culture of deprivation? There just isn't enough being done to enlighten this said group of their realistic prospect of ever accessing the top. The average Joe stands no chance.
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Why paint the picture of a class equilibrium when in reality such access is denied? Xisses

26 comments

  1. I really commend you for the route you are going down because I for one know how hard it can be. Most times it can be a who you know exercise which can be very frustrating when you know you possess all the qualities they need for the job. Hope you get that pupillage (right?) you really want :)

    Lola xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is in no way a 'woe is me' kind of post. More of a creation of awareness.
      I honestly do think the media skews the means of access into the professions, painting the rise to be one thats attainable by all. The hardwork that needs to go in other than just academia is brushed past, but it really DOES exist!

      Thanks though for saying all those things you said above...I pray I get pupillage too. Its a hard knock life out there and everyone is grinding just as (if not harder) hard as i am...

      Hope your TC hunt is just as fruitful dude

      Delete
  2. 100% agree. I went to school for fashion design and graduated 3 years and I am currently working in retail management. Don't get me wrong I enjoy my job, but it is nowhere close to the position I thought I would be in. Without money or connections it is hard to get your foot into any door. This is a problem not just in one country, but everywhere. Having all of the credentials and talent/knowledge, no longer puts you in the same place that you/we should be in and it is really unfortunate.
    Aside from that I love your shots, you look stunning!!!

    xoxo
    annpaige

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *appluads* I agree, its not JUST in the UK, however people are misinformed about the UK being 'greener pastures'. To an extent, it is, but to a certain extent...its equally as problematic from whence you came

      Delete
  3. Ur write-up's really good. U r pretty amazing.
    Love ur outfit!

    http://www.justporsh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THNAKYOU!! I love that my followers take the time out to read it when they can :)

      And *blush* I'm flattered

      Delete
  4. Totally agree that is it not what you know but who you know. Many friends of mine with degrees have been searching for jobs for years and are still unemployed! Others who are employed now were searching for year also before securing something... I must say though, with the amount of competition around going for the same jobs, I'm not sure I disagree with 'connections' being a stool for success. I think networking is just as important as education. "Your network, is your net-worth" as they say x

    La Sugarlace Style & Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely! We have old graduates, plus new graduates + to be graduates in the same job market? Tough times!

      I understand what you mean about connections being key though, 'cos at the end of the day, it doesn't stop there. Those connections you made from the outset will be very beneficial in practice.
      Geez! The grind is never ending lol

      Delete
  5. You genuinely made my day today, A gorgeous fashion post with one of the fundamental issues of British culture! It is definitely who you know! Just tell everyone at uni to join societies! You may get a 1st degree in your subject but if you don't know a way to get into it, there is a chance you never will! Take Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat! He has a degree from Cambridge in History, but because he was in the comedy society, look where he ended up! Its crazy!
    Good luck! Fingers crossed for everyone searching, luckily I am not at that point yet! Dread the day!
    Marwa x

    thenotrichgirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's food for thought. I joined the ACS society but I doubt it made any difference to my life. To be perfectly honest, going to Uni was a waste of time. Even getting a 2:1 hasn't made much of a difference but I think it's my 'generic' degree, that and the fact that the Uni I went to taught us to pass with little knowledge needed; league table and all that jazz.. I digress but it's the way life is in the UK.

      http://www.candyliquor.co.uk
      UK High Street Fashion
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Lovely piece and every word is so true.let's keep our fingers crossed if we would eventually get the change we need fredaidehen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thankyou for reading it sweetie
      *fingers crossed* I get to where I need to be..,

      Delete
  7. So true and well written, society and all the BS, it really is who you know and not at all what you know..gorgeous darling! love the dress

    ReplyDelete
  8. great dress :)

    http://chicchoolee.blogspot.co.at/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flattered...fake it until you make it!
      Got it on sale over christmas for £20 *shopaholic dance*

      Delete
  9. lovely dress, you look amazing! xx

    coffeebooksandcitylights.blogspot.com/
    facebook.com/rocknrolllies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!
    http://inyasuniverse.blogspot.be

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well said Uk can be problematic too gosh wat a hard knock life inbetween I love ur dress and am super in love with your blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it really is like this for all routes though.
      I don't even think the professions are any harder than to attain a retail job these days...

      Thanks hun! Hope you like what you've read or looked at thus far?
      Will be taking a look at you blog x

      Delete