'lympics 2012

"What have you done today to make you feel proud?" Heather Small
The Olympics are long gone now, and the Paralympics are soon coming to an end. This calls an end to a time of recognition of athletic ability, rewarding of perseverance, hard work & rigorous training. Everyone came together (evident for those who have Twitter & witnessed throngs of people from all tribes & nations make the opening ceremony a trending topic) to cheer on their home countries/ country of residence. Camaraderie and jovial digs at opponents were the language of the heats through finals, and united cheers were the common medals for the audience. It felt good to be a part of something that required no effort. To be a spectator, there were zero grade requirements or physical compatibility tests. It just felt good to yell at the screen, cheer on your team, or wave your flag in support from the comfort of your homes.
 Bowler Hat : H&M | Dress : Finsbury Park store (originally Topshop) | Chelsea Boots : DP
From the opening ceremony, through to the awe we all feel over the athletic capabilities of the Paralympic athletes, there has been a resounding air of unity through diversity. Yes, it's a competition, but only to a certain extent. I believe the world chimed in to root for Usain Bolt, but we're all well aware that our passports don't read 'Jamaican National'.
 I volunteered as a tour guide for London, through both periods. I absolutely lapped up the experience! The Small's lyrics quoted above was my rationale for volunteering. They say 'those who can't, teach', so I thought, as I couldn't bag tickets & didn't enrol as a stadium volunteer, this was the least I could do. I don't want my kids to ask what I did/ where I was through that period & I'll shrug due to laziness or inadequate preparation. No!
Studs : Matalan | Watch : Guess | Rings : Forever 21 + H&M
What I didn't envision, however, was just how much the experience would teach me. I learned the value of a graceful demeanour. Most foreigners felt more comfortable approaching me as I was forever cheesing, and that helped their experience to be more enjoyable & informative; win-win. I found out just how fortunate ethnic-minorities are in the UK! That societal quota may forever moan & groan about inequality & discrimination, but we got it GOOD. Trust me! Some visitors were ignorant to the fact that a woman of colour, like myself, had access to cultural capital. It seems I baffled them with my wealth of knowledge & colourful diction. I was victim to ignorant (although, all well-intended) questions about migration, and social & cultural integration. I played my part, and did myself proud, and I can honestly say that London did a great job in uniting nations, enlightening them about the joys of a cosmopolitan society. What part did you play in the game of 'lympic unity?
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! Limp along your 'lympic track. I'll see you at the finish line, that's a fact. Xisses

18 comments

  1. Love the outfit and the hat really suits your short do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie. I have a penchant for hats

      Delete
  2. errrrrr so that dress!! love it!! saw a similar one on Romwe but it sold out :(


    www.lollihearts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IT!!! Only cost £15 too :) BARGAIN!

      Delete
  3. your blog inspire me a lot. Lovely outfit

    www.frances-diaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG that dress is from H&M? Awesome find! And that hat is the perfect finishing touch :)

    XO
    www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No hun, the dress is from Finsbusry park. One of the random stores there.
      Originally from Topshop though....got it for a fraction of the price :)

      Thanks for your sweet comments :)

      Delete
  5. So pretty, I love the dress!

    Xx
    www.estellelamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the dress

    xo Camilla

    Into The Fold

    ps check out the giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is so cute!Lovely pics btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress you got there, loving the print :)

    www.coffeecreamandthecaffeine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete