Part of the List

I'm raw with emotion, and this will probably be my most vulnerable post, but so be it. I indulged in a long latenight skype conversation with one of my closest guy friends lastnight, and not long after, the conversation legged it in the direction of aesthetic appeal and individual taste. For those who are staring blankly at the screen wondering what in the devil's name I could be on about...he brought up the fact that he & some other guy friends of mine, were discussing which one of the girls in Uni they found the hottest...and that alone, was enough to send me on a wild train to Nostalgia-Ville. Trust me, the journey was not one I'd like to relive....but here goes.
 Jacket : Boutique (Croydon) | Gap Shirt & High-waist jeans : Thrift Store (London)
This is the tale of the day that changed my life. There I was, standing in the corridor of my high-school one of many lunchtimes, enduring the mindless banter and snide comments thrown by the popular guys towards undeserving victims. Bored stiff, the guys then cast their attention to the group of girls across the hall from them (of which I was one), who cleverly (or not-so-intelligently, if you ask me) positioned themselves there to catch the guys' attention with an air of possession/  sense of belonging. The guys continued the game that had swept my year by storm, which was to rate the girls. Except, this time, they decided to rate 'us' in order i.e. from first to last, who was wifey-able. The list trailed on and on, as my ears pricked, I bid the powers that be that I fall anywhere but last. As they all struggled to draft the final 5 or 3 (or something low like that), I could feel my ears burning, the hairs on the back of my neck prickling, and my mouth go dry as my name was yet to be called out. I honestly don't know WHY I cared so much, but as a teenager, social acceptance is of paramount importance. So there I stood, and there I waited, as the proud selected girls held their heads up high and carried on with their lives...
 Bag : ZARA | Suede Pumps : H&M | Rings : Bonita's | Fur Headband : Primark
...until I heard one of my closest male friends propose my name "come on man" he bid the others to agree. After much protest, my name was firmly fixed in a spot not too low down the list (and I soon breathed a sigh of relief). Only for my brief moment of pride to come crashing down as I overheard this uber-douche whisper mean words about my looks, and levels of attractiveness, bidding others to just leave me off the list completely.  I spoke vaguely about this in my 'Live Your Life' post a solid year ago (so you guys know how I handled it afterwards), but never reflected on the true magnitude that particular occurrence had on my growth as a woman. There I stood, ashamed of my existence, crying inside, but holding my head up with pride. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but wise words fell by the wayside. I still have vulnerable moments and ugly days, but sometimes all it takes is a mental slap to realise that I'm not a 14year-old awkward looking kid anymore. I've grown into my features, and accepted my flaws.
Everyone looks at me now, and teases about how 'confident' and 'self-assured' I am, but I can testify that the journey here has not been easy; I am yet to reach my destination. Tracing back my steps in this post to how I began, I want to remind you that the list-drafting tradition is yet to go extinct among the male species. Funny enough, I was advocated as a prime candidate this time by said party of the opposite sex, except, his proposal was struck down by another with chimes of "Oh come ON!" That hurt, I wont lie, but the difference is, with years comes experience. I'm older now, and wise enough to recognise that his acknowledgment or approval is of no relevance to my life. After all, if I drafted a list of my own, he wouldn't even be in the running, so why sweat it?
I received a Facebook 'friend request' today, only to click and see uber-douche himself. As I chuckled at the irony of it all, I was moved to draft this post. Seems lists are all the rage again, as another 'hottie list' was also drafted at work, and Lord knows if my male colleagues find me sexually appealing or not (although I hope not, as we work in a law firm, and I'd probably be prompted by HR to file a suit for sexual harassment), cos I sure as hell aint checkin' for them. LOL!!
Onyxsta says...BLEURGH!! You cannot be to everyone's taste. In looks, there's no One Size Fits All. Xisses

55 comments

  1. I relate to this post all to well but I never would of guessed someone who's confidence beams from her style like your's ever faced something quite like that hmmm boys are stupid lol

    www.deejayspeaks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweety & as hard as it was to talk about it, I'm glad i did cos now I know my ordeal was just a stumbling block on my path to success, much like others have experienced...

      Delete
  2. this is a great post and speaks volumes about how life is like when you're younger... now it's like people don't care as much and you've got your own little group of friends who usually accept you how you are. it's great to hear that you are over all that and honestly you look fabulous and i'm terribly jealous of your jacket not to mention the rest of your outfit!


    myblissisthisway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I sort of envy the younger generation, but I guess they may not have it as easy as we think. Thankyou for your lovely compliments xx

      Delete
  3. tbh no one is ever as secure as they seem. the confidence i currently possess took me years to achieve and is still being worked on. children are so blooming mean. you are fine sha. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY TRUE! Yeah...kids are cruel, aint that the truth. You ooze confidence and seem so self-assured, and I guess if looking at you is how people look at me, I can see how they may think so too.

      Delete
  4. love your outfit your jacket is gorgeous!

    thanks for the comment on my blog,
    XOXO, BECCA
    http://www.fashion-train.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweety x
      Always a pleasure...been a long time fan of your blog

      Delete
  5. Good girl! Nice ending. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to everything you just said because at thirteen year old I too was rated by guys from who was the hottest to who was the ugliest. Among my classmate I used to make the "ugliest" in the list and I can tell you much that played a major downfall into my self-esteem until I decided to work it out and have the irony of these same classmates who called me ugly sending me friend request. I lovvve when I can relate to someone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its the worst, but honestly, whatever doesn't break you makes you stronger. Funny thing is, when you're at your lowest and your self-esteem is in the pit & someone says that to you? You just wanna slap them cos it seems so rehearsed....but its the honest truth. I'm glad others are relating and it honestly took a lot for me to share but after that friend request (which u also relate to), i felt I just HAD to....

      Delete
  7. Great ideas and good taste.
    http://paquetevistasbien.blogspor.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post speaks volumes and you are absolutely right. Boys are douchebags #EndOfStory
    But over the years I've learned to focus on improving myself when it comes to confidence, my passions, career, schooling etc. Because at the end of the day, that's all that matters. And those people that bullied or rated you low back in school are the ones that chase after you to be your friends.

    People like you keep me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at 'boys are douchebags'
      Thanks sweety....yes! I am all for self-improvement and also awareness of the energy you exude on the earth
      I'm all for positivity and growth...and you're right, thats all that matters. Funny how all those wise cracks who spent endless hours wrecking teenagers' lives are all bums now...ha!

      Delete
  9. The most important thing is that we learn from everything in life, and that is what makes us wiser and more confident in the future... And make better decisions =) Really good post! I hope u have a great weekend... PS U look so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! And thanks for taking the time out to read my post...I'm touched that you took something from it.
      You're so right...if those things didn't happen at the early stages of my life, I wouldn't be 1/2 the woman I am today. So in a weird way, I have them to thank

      Thanks for the lovely PS message x

      Delete
  10. i can certainly tell you that i've been in the same exact spot once_not pleasing...at ALL!
    but like you said girl,acceptance of oneself(flaws and assets) is one step to overcoming things like this, *sniff* somehow i feel like u've spoken for me :) thank uuuu...oh! and u look gorgeous <3 the leather jacket!!

    serenamariposa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww *virtual hug* I love my readers! Its you guys that touch ME! I take so much from what you say...and yes, the second-to-final stage in personal development is acceptance of one's flaws. I feel like after that, you can then learn to grow and work around them

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! :)

    Join my GIVEAWAY! ;)
    http://liberty-walk-sara.blogspot.com/2012/02/giveaway-la-coste-perfume-pour-femme.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie & I sure will, although I have the worst luck lol

      Delete
  12. thanks for your visiting:)
    Greetings from Poland:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg you look stunning! love it! <3 i will follow you and if you want to you can also follow me!
    love this outfit! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. how wonderful!

    -COSMICaroline
    www.COSMICaroline.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Replies
    1. I love it too! Just bought the new version of the shopper in caramel....gorgeous! Can't wait to show you in a post coming soon.....falling SO behind!

      Delete
  16. Love your chic outfit. Welcome to stop by my blog and if you like we can follow eachother on bloglovin.

    http://celebritystyletips.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks sweetie. I'll be sure to check out your blog x

      Delete
  17. great post, :) I love the photos :) I hope you will follow my blog

    leopardinleather.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks hun. And I'll check out your blog x

      Delete
  18. You look great here, the perfect stylish outfit for the cold frosty weather! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Replies
    1. So do I hunny! Fit my world in there. Just purchased the new version of the shopper in caramel :)

      Delete
  20. thia used to happen at school too! rating weird, i would hate the same to still happened now. i like the jacket alot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EURGH! Highschool was hell....although there WERE fun times after that anyway. Guess you have to use experiences like those to truly grow from. Dwelling on them and allowing it to rule your life will only result in your downfall...
      Thanks, i LOVE that jacket :)

      Delete
  21. LOVE that Zara bag! Wish I would have gotten it ;( Have a great weekend!!

    www.plentyforpennies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?!? Hun, they still have it in stores! It flies off the shelves but the replen-frequency is nuts!

      Delete
  22. Love your jacket and your writing style!

    claudmarvon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. That hat is awesome! =)

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm glad to hear that you've learned to focus more on the important things in life! I think insecurities will always be there, but much more so when you are younger, and on more trivial things. No one is perfect. Someone thinks Gisele has a flaw. So yes, who cares, why sweat it. It's all in the eye of the beholder. If you don't like what you see, then stop looking. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to tweet the end bit of your comment cos I loved it so much.
      I completely agree with you and love how someone older and wiser can relate...
      You're so right. Even a woman that we think is practically perfect, is still scrutinised by the media for cellulite thighs or other flaws. Nobody's perfect :) Thanks for commenting, I love your blog x

      Delete
  25. Your fur headband is so so cute <3
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it!

    http://fashion-journal-bysuzannemarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fantastic post. I love that you shared something so vulnerable, and it's great to see that you're in a more self-confident and secure place now. I've still got quite a while to go with that! You look great, love the bag! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just skipped over the Zara bag (on the Zara website) because they were out of the cognac color bag that I've been swooning over for months. They only had black left but I decided NOT to buy it since it's not the color I wanted; however, after seeing how you styled the black bag - I'M BUYING IT...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very nice, very nice!

    http://survivingcollegefashionably.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love Your Outfit Here!!
    Casj But DOPE xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete